Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Invictus



I have always been so inspired by the strength and resilience of Nelson Mandela in his darkest days. Even through all the torture and repression of his life, he rose up and became a beckon of light to his country and the world. He changed our hearts and inspired us.



I had the incredible fortune of meeting him once at a private party in Bel Air about 12 years ago. I was one of several people hired to take care of him at a private function. Although I was one of the mere staff at the event, he made it a point to introduce himself and his daughter who accompanied him, to each and every one of us. He made it a point to remember our names. It was important to him. He looked me right in the eye and shook my hand sincerely. I will never forget it and it remains a highlight of my life. I guess when you have suffered as much as he did all those years, your value for life and it's inhabitants is so much deeper. I meant something to him in that moment; as a citizen of this world...connected.



I recently watched the movie Invictus and was so moved by it. The poem that kept him moving forward and never giving up while he was in prison for 27 years was Invictus by William Ernest Henley. I wanted to share it with you. It is a reminder that this world cannot oppress us. We must be the very best version of our self...The master of our fate; unafraid and convicted






Invictus






Out of the night that covers me



Black as the pit from pole to pole



I thank whatever God may be



For my unconquerable soul






In the fell clutch of circumstance



I have not winced nor cried aloud



Under the bludgeoning of chance



My head is bloody but unbowed






Beyond this place of wrath and tears



Looms the horror of the shade



And yet the menace of the years



Finds, and shall find, me unafraid






It matters not how straight the gate



How charged with punishments the scroll



I am the Master of my fate;



I am the Captain of my soul.



No comments:

Post a Comment